Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Communication via Blog

This blog has been a very effective communication tool for the class for several reasons. It has allowed people to think about the class lectures and discussions in depth and express their thoughts on their blogs that they might not otherwise share with anyone. Through the blog, everyone gets a chance to get to know other people’s ideas and thoughts. In other words, it provides a platform for students to share their thoughts with others. And the comments allowed for two way communication among students by commenting to each others posts.

Even though the blog did allow students to learn about each other and their thoughts about the class activities, it didn’t really extend to any communication with those people in class, for me personally, for others it might have. However, the blog did effectively get me to think about the class activities and the lessons.

I really enjoyed reading Professor K’s blog because it provided interesting topics such as ways to become more intelligent and tips to become more successful at your job. These blog entries were quite helpful because they gave an insight and suggestions that the class lectures wouldn’t really provide. I think the fact that the blog accounted for 20% of our final grade did allow us to manage that portion of our grade well, especially if the test grades weren’t so good.

At this point, I’m not sure if I’ll continue to post my thoughts or ideas to the blog after the class has ended. But I do feel like it’s a great way to express myself, so I might very well do it. I feel that the blog should remain a component of the course because it can help students boost their grades who do not like to or feel comfortable participating in class much. I think it’s a unique and interesting way to get students to interact outside of the classroom yet incorporating the material from the class into the blog as well. I have personally enjoyed the blog assignments. They have allowed me to think about the class activities and better understand what I learned in class.

2 comments:

  1. Just like how the class experiments help us better understand the theories of management, the blogs also increases that understanding as well! I feel the same about whether to continue blogging after the class. There are other websites like facebook that allows use to basically blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the blog was good at continuing the learning a bit after class because you have to extend on whatever topic for that day. Did it help with creating a relationship with students that you did not sit next to? No, not in my opinion but I could be wrong. I think everyone agrees that it is good to boost grades and should be kept as a part of the requirement.

    ReplyDelete